Macroscopically homogeneous mixture of two or more different species of polymer.
- In most cases, blends are homogeneous on scales larger than several times the wavelengths of @VT07496@ light.
- In principle, the constituents of a blend are separable by physical means.
- No account is taken of the @MT07230@ or @IT07239@ of the @C01281@ macromolecules, i.e., no assumption is made regarding the number of phase domains present.
- The use of the term @PT07264@ for a polymer blend is discouraged, as the former term includes multiphase copolymers but excludes incompatible polymer blends.
- The number of @M03667@ components which comprise a blend is often designated by an adjective, viz. binary, ternary, quaternary, etc.
PAC, 2007, 79, 1801. 'Definitions of terms relating to the structure and processing of sols, gels, networks, and inorganic-organic hybrid materials (IUPAC Recommendations 2007)' on page 1817 (https://doi.org/10.1351/pac200779101801)