When a @S05727@ is colloidally @U06569@ the formation of aggregates is called @C01117@ or @A00182-2@. Some authors distinguish between @A00182-1@ and @A00182-2@, the latter implying the formation of a loose or open @NT07562@ which may or may not separate macroscopically. The loose structure formed in this way is called a floc.
PAC, 1972, 31, 577. (Manual of Symbols and Terminology for Physicochemical Quantities and Units, Appendix II: Definitions, Terminology and Symbols in Colloid and Surface Chemistry) on page 610 [Terms] [Paper]